Monday, September 5, 2011

Lesson Planning Party!

Oh goodness!  Is it bad that I have to teach all 22 of my lovelies tomorrow, and I'm still working on lesson plans?!  One of the most difficult things I find is tying my philosophy of literacy instruction with what I'm required to teach in my district.  Does anyone else have a hard time doing that?  I'm trying to be super conscious of what I'm teaching, why I'm teaching it, and how it relates to the new common core... overwhelming... YES!

Anyway, we use the Macmillian/McGraw-Hill reading series and focus on nursery rhymes the first 2 weeks.  Now, I LOVE nursery rhymes, I just like to focus on NAMES first.  Thus, here's me tying the two together... thanks to inspiration from Phonics: Lessons, Letters, Words & How They Work Grade K by Gay Su Pinnell. 

Students work in shared reading identifying the title of "Mary Wore Her Red Dress."  We also discuss what the title does for a piece of literature.  Students then create their own version of the poem putting their name in for Mary's.  (Side note: Boys wear a red shirt in their poem!)  Not only do they practice working with their name, they identify and discuss concepts about print with the title, and illustrate their poem so it matches the text.  Wham!  Bam!  Thank you, ma'am!  That's a whole lot of literacy in one piece of paper! :)

Pick up my poems for use in your classroom here... Mary Wore Her Red Dress Fill-In

I'm excited to start with my full class tomorrow.  Wish me luck as all 22 little people come together... hopefully to create classroom harmony!  Hope you had a great long weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment