Thursday, September 1, 2011

Smooth as silk...

Well, I just can't believe it!  I seriously have NEVER had such a smooth start to my school year!  In our district to start the year... we have 2 teacher work days, a day of kindergarten orientation, and then 3 staggered entry days for our little ones.  We split the kindergarten students into three groups to allow us time to complete assessments and let the little ones find 6 or 7 little ones they'll be able to recognize when we come together after the Labor Day weekend.  It's a phenomenal way to start the year, and I think this year is even better thanks to you blogger pals!  Without your ideas and resources, I don't think I would have found my flow this year!  So thanks! :)

This is what we've been up to...
  • Writing names and drawing self-portraits while I teach the kiddos how to unpack book bags, folders, and ordering lunch.
  • Quick calendar on the SMART Board with some help from Starfall and a morning message telling about all the fun we'll be having today.
  • Reading...  
                                                        
Then, discussing class rules, behavior management, and making the fabulous David puppet to take home.  You can get the puppet from here... http://crisscrossapplesauce.typepad.com/files/no_david.pdf
  • Kindergarten free-choice while I administered state mandated assessments.  (Always fun, ha!)
  • Reading...
                                                            
And talking about how even though we're all different, we still have so many things that are the same about each other.  It's so fun to see little friendships budding and light bulbs going off as they explore Find a Friend!  Thanks to First Grade Best for posting the document!
  • SMART Board rules while answering the question of the day!
  • Snack (always important!)
  • Dismissal and bus rules!
Everything has been wonderful, and I'm looking forward to seeing my last group of kindergartners tomorrow, and then we'll all be coming together on the Tuesday after Labor Day!  Hooray for K! 

Thanks for all your fabulous ideas blog friends!  Without you, it would be the same old thing!  How are your beginnings of the year going?  Lets dish! :)

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog! I love the David gets in trouble book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Preppy... I know! How else will we ever get assessments completed?! :) I still have two kiddos to finish with on Tuesday!

    Wild About K Kids: So glad to see you! David cracks me (and my kinders) up! :)

    ReplyDelete