Saturday, October 8, 2011

Where's that sound?

Much to my chagrin, we do a letter of the week in my kindergarten building.  This was difficult to transition to after working for 2 years at a Literacy Collaborative school.  Have I mentioned I adore Literacy Collaborative?   Regardless, it's a never ending balancing act between my old ways and the firm phonics foundation that appears my current reading series.

I have to find ways to entertain myself and my students novel ways to introduce phonics concepts.  One way is with... drum roll please... paint chips!  No, we're not licking them!  HA!  We're using them, as many folks do, as Elkonin sound boxes.  Anyone else pilfer through paint samples at their local Lowes or Home Depot?  It is quite fun!

From there, we work using markers of any kind... plastic chips, bears, pennies, etc. and mark where we hear different sounds.  Instant, sturdy, FREE, Elkonin Boxes!

We then translate that skill by writing the letter we're studying in the correct box under a variety of pictures.  Grab this freebie called Where's the Nn Sound?

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.  I'm nursing myself back to health after the kindergarten trifecta of illness... bronchitis, ear infection, and sinus infection!  This leaves my loads of time browse blogs, Facebook, and catch up on my magazine reading.  Woo hoo! Wish I could do this minus the hacking cough, but what can you do?!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! You posted a freebie! Here's a tip: start making your documents in PPT. It's sooooo much easier and they turn out awesome!!! Hope you are feeling better. I hope you and broz can come down soon for a little visit!

    ReplyDelete