Monday, February 27, 2012

Sticker books & pitiful looks...

Okay, this post is not about teaching.
That's not true.  It's somewhat about teaching.
Something is always about teaching, because I am a teacher.
If something happens to my students... it happens to me on some level.
Fortunately or unfortunately, if something happens to ME, it happens to my students too.

Rewind one week.
A phone call to my father about a needle biopsy he had the previous week.
Uh oh...
Stage 2, non-Hodgkins lymphoma, in his abdomen.

Fast forward to tomorrow.
Chemotherapy port being surgically implanted.

Fast forward to Thursday. 
Chemotherapy from 10 AM until 5 PM.

Rewind to last Friday.
Letter sent home to my students' families giving them the abbreviated version of what's going on, however, reassuring them, even if I'm out, their children are being cared for, learning, and enjoying their kindergarten year.  It was a letter I never thought I'd have to write, but here I am, and I did.

Rewind to 10 hour ago. 
My kids are so curious about when I'm going to be gone.  I explained that my dad is sick, and when you're a grown-up (seriously, when did that happen?), sometimes you have to help take care of your parents when they're sick.  This, in turn, got us talking about... sticker books! :)

One of my darlings raised their hand.
"When I'm sick, my mom lets me get out my sticker book!" 
(Ooohs and ahhhs from the other 20 kids.)
Me: "Should I get my dad a sticker book?"
(Eager nods.)

I've already put together a chemotherapy entertainment bag full of sudoku (I hate them!), crosswords (I love them!), and word finds (I am indifferent!).  It doesn't matter what I want to do, it's about my dad, and I have no idea whether he'd enjoy any of those things with an IV of scary fluids being put into his chest. 

I also got him snacks since he's going to be there all day!  Pistachios, chocolate covered pretzels, and dried pineapple.  I figure, if you're going to be in chemo, you might as well get the good shit! :)

I am also LOADING up an old iPod for him so he can tap his feet, wiggle his fingers, and relax to the soothing sounds of The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who, etc.

So, as a whole, preparing for this has included preparing my little lovelies for my absence... knowing there might be more times that I have to be away.  My colleagues have been beyond amazing, allowing me to cry, vent, flip out, etc. 

And, I know... I just know, that God is with me and going to change me and help me grow through this experience.  He has given me a spectacular group of children with families to match (hello, e-mail from a parent saying they're praying for me & thanking me for being so open and honest with them!)... and I love them.

So, I may be posting a lot to cope.  I may not be posting at all.  I don't know how this is all going to play out, but I know I wanted to let the friends I've made in the blogosphere aware of what's up and ask for all the positive vibes & prayers you're willing to give! :)

Thank you already... for all the Dr. Seuss freebies you've been posting!  That has been a huge help in getting my sub plans ready for Thursday & Friday.  See, you're helping and didn't even know it!  You girlies rock, and I appreciate having another outlet through this scary and confusing process.

1 comment:

  1. Sending many prayers, thoughts, and good vibes your way!!!

    ReplyDelete