Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Sight Word Wednesday!

/t/ /h/ /e/... tuh-huh-eh...

Oh.  The beginning of the school year.  When kinder kiddos try to sound out every, and I mean every, sight word known to man.

But, then, it only takes a little bit of practice, and they are reading high frequency words like it's their job!  This is all with help from their fabulous teachers and the WORD WALL!

What type of word wall do you have?  What words do you use?  Fry?  Dolch?  A mix?  Your own list? 

My kindergarten team has used a reading series as a guide for the past 8 years, but it's not cutting it with the Common Core State Standards.  We have to up our word game, if you know what I mean!

So, while we're creating a custom list catered to our district, I'm perusing and reviewing Dolch and Fry to see what's best.  And, in the mean time, I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I created both Dolch and Fry word walls.

Now, if you can't tell by the pictures, I'm super OCD about making my word wall functional and fun.  Under each alphabet letter on my word wall, the words all have different colors, except for a few strays here & there.

This helps me when Billy, Johnny, or Suzy shouts asks, "How do you spell because?"  You can now easily say, "It's the orange word under the letter Bb."  Hot dog!  They can find it easily, and it saves on having to stop what you're doing to go point to where the word is on the word wall.  



I love the solid colors, but I adore the chevron too.  I'm trying to decide which I'm going to use in my classroom.  What do you think?  Chevron is the "in thing" you know!  I have a feeling that's what I'll use.

So, lets hear it!  Leave a comment and tell me what type of word wall you use, what words you use, etc!  This will be our first year changing it up, and we K teachers need all the help we can get. 

Have a wonderful Wednesday!



1 comment:

  1. Love the chevron!!! I've always used Dolch with my kiddos and I'm now using it with my son. I used my word wall mostly during writing time and center activities....I never really had much wall space in my classroom so it was always a challenge trying to find a good spot for it:)

    Tammy
    ”Dots” of Fun!
    1...2...3...Teach With Me

    ReplyDelete