Thursday, July 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday

Did you know it was Thursday?  I'm going to be honest.  I did not know what day it was when I woke up.  Luckily for me, a cup of coffee remedied that, and I'm ready for this week's...


Today's post is from December 1, 2011.  It is a description of my dramatic play area set up for the holiday season.  Flash forward to December 1, 2012.  Do you think I had ANY dramatic play in my classroom?  No.  And, I think I miss it.  But, I'm not 100% sure how it would fit in to my Common Core classroom.  So, I'll leave you with the same question I had on my 2011 post... Do you dramatic play?  

I'd love to hear your thoughts!  And, don't forget to head over to The First Grade Parade to see everyone else's throwback posts as well!

Drama!

No, I'm not talking about my little ones.  (Though, they have been slightly wound up!)
No, I'm not talking about my colleagues.  (We're a tight knit group of 9 kindergarten teachers.)
No, I'm not talking about the fact that I left my purse at work.  (Wait, I did that.  Yesterday.  Oops.)
No, I'm not talking about the hubby.  (How could I?  He made dinner tonight & put my clothes in the dryer!)

It's DRAMA because I love dramatic play! Do you?  Do you?  

I just set-up my first dramatic play work station of the year.  (In years past, it has been a staple of the classroom, but due to size and other fun stuff, it comes and goes.)  Regardless, it's up and the kids are looking in awe at all the odds and ends that are out...



What's that?  What do you do in SANTA's WORKSHOP? 
(This has been a question in my room ALL DAY! and yes, my school is okay with Santa, elves, trees, etc...)

Build toys. Wrap presents.  Make cards.  Make lists of presents to give.  Make lists of presents you would like.  Label features of the workshop.  Play Santa.  Have fun!  

I will be unleashing my little ones in dramatic play next week, but not before going over the rules of the work station.  "No, you may not go give the principal that hastily wrapped Clifford stuffed animal."   "No, you may not wrap your work station buddy!" 


Work bench area to build and wrap toys!

A variety of holiday inspired greeting cards, wrapping paper, ribbon, etc.

Don't think I won't use my "Santa Phone" and let him know how you're behaving! 
 (PS:  My kids were SILENT in the hallway today b/c of Santa phone!  By far, the best $3.00 I've spent to spray paint an old phone!)

The holidays are a special time in my classroom, and I love using dramatic play as an outlet for all that energy, excitement, and anticipation! :) 

Do you dramatic play too?

1 comment:

  1. Love dramatic play in my class! We use puppets, fairy tale masks, or just whatever we can find. It's one of my favorites to just watch what they come up with!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop

    ReplyDelete