Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday with Miss Kindergarten

I did it.
I did "real" work today.
It wasn't fun craftiness or decorating.
It didn't involve cute fonts or clipart.

I updated our common formative assessments for this school year, and it was not fun.  However, I did do it with my kindergarten team, and THAT was fun.  We always have a great time together and enjoyed lunch & planning for a new year!  How is your prep coming for the school year?

As a new year comes along, I'm always looking for some wisdom, and Miss Kindergarten has it!  Come look and/or join her linky party to share in the fun!


  1. Coffee is always a good thing.  Children have energy.  I do not always have energy.  
  2. Always show your volunteers you appreciate them.  We have the BEST volunteer in the world.  She slices.  She dices.  She has her own cart that she buzzes around the school with.  She is the best.  So, I provide coffee.  Tea.  Baked goods.  Hugs from my children.  Anything to keep her happy! 
  3. Family contact on day one makes for a better year.  I started calling/e-mailing my families on the first day of school a few years ago, and it has helped make improved family relationships.  I have parents that I am now friends with because of the relationship we formed when their child was in my class. 
  4. It's always better to pack your lunch.  School lunch.  Enough said.
  5. Singing and funny voices > normal voices when teaching.  I also do this at home to get my husbands attention.
  6. Use what you've got!  I used to dance ballet, tap, and jazz.  Sometimes I bust out in a two step to break the ice or get the attention of my kiddos.  
  7. Your teaching team is your number one support at school.  I love the ladies I teach with.  We are 8 kindergarten teachers who know how to have fun and educate kiddos while we do it.
  8. Smile and nod.  When confused, angry, irritated, tired, etc.  Just smile & nod.
  9. 2:30 coffee is acceptable.  Go ahead, have another cup, you still have an hour left in the day.
  10. Hugs, high-fives, hand shakes, Hollywood kisses, and hit the rock bring the perfect end to a day!  My kiddos choose one of those ways to say goodbye to me each day.  I love the closure it brings on whatever kind of day we've had... and they know I care about them and can't wait to see them again tomorrow.  
Grab my "Great Goodbyes!" for free on TpT by clicking the above picture!

Alrighty...  I'm off to see what other teachers have learned during this fabulous linky party!  I bet I'll find some new wisdom along the way... 

...And find more teachers who think of coffee as a lesson learned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment